Monday, June 6, 2011

Check out my interview on I61Studio.com's OC Wedding Blog!

Sarah came in last week to interview me for her OC Wedding Blog: http://www.i61studio.com

You can see the interview with larger pic's @: http://www.i61studio.com/blog

June6th

Carina is a makeup artist now for eleven years and is owner of a truly one-stop makeup and skin care lounge in Costa Mesa that provides not only wedding and event makeup, but skin care, hair styling, botox treatments, and tanning, among many others.


I61studio: How long has your business been in operation?
Carina: It’s been three years on July 1rst. So we’re having our three year birthday party on June 29th from 5pm-8:30pm. We have local vendors, makeup demos, raffles for free facials and free yoga – just a fun girly party.

I61studio: How would you describe your signature makeup style?
Carina: Our style here is really fresh— Fresh and youthful with emphasis on the eyes and really smooth skin.

I61studio: How did you get into the field of professional makeup?
Carina: I was in fashion design school and I was getting frustrated because I wasn’t that good. My friend suggested I go to makeup school and I was like: “How would make a career out of that?” But then I went, and it kind of all just clicked. I loved it. I became obsessed.

I61studio: How was the transition from the fashion field into the makeup field?
Carina: It really happened fast. Once I made the decision and put my mind to it, literally doors just flew open for me. I got hired at MAC right away, I met a celebrity artist that asked me to assist – he took me to the Grammy’s in ‘99 for my first job. It just happened really fast and once it did, I was just obsessed. I loved it.

I61studio: How long have you been interested in makeup in general?
Carina: I was a late bloomer – I was 22 when I first started wearing makeup. It’s been around 13 years since I started really looking at magazines and staring at the faces.

I61studio: What did you want to be when you were a kid?
Carina: I always knew I was going to own my own business. I just was always coming up with ways to earn money. So I would wash cars, vacuum cars out, and this was all when I was around 12. But if you had told me when I was 15 that I was going to own a makeup studio I would have been like “Yeah right! I don’t even wear makeup! That’s gross!” I was so natural I didn’t want to look fake ever. So I always have that in mind when we do makeup on our girls.

I61studio: How did you stay motivated while building your business from the ground up?
Carina: I just really didn’t think I was going to fail. That just wasn’t an option. And if you are working hard, there’s no way you can’t succeed. People would constantly say negative things, but I think those negatives made me more motivated to be successful.

I61studio: Who was your biggest influence or inspiration?
Carina: Well I have always looked up to Madonna. Hers was the first record I got when I was a kid – “Like a Virgin”. After watching her movie, I just related to her. She would really just say “Screw all of you” and be true to herself – to her heart – no matter what anyone around her said.

I61studio: Do you have a favorite makeup artist?
Carina: I really like Donald Simrock. He is an artist I worked with for five years. And Lottie Stannard. I’ve never met her but I am obsessed with her work. She’s just really talented and creative and amazing.

I61studio: What do you like to do in your free time?
Carina: I’ve been working seven days a week for quite some time now because I get really booked. But I started riding horses and I love to travel. Whenever I can get some time off, I get on a plane and I go to Europe – I go to visit family in Sweden. I just recently went to Italy and Spain and I came back and got booked on a wedding in Fiji, so I went to Fiji for eight days.

I61studio: What do you love most about doing what you do?
Carina: I love that it’s different every day, I love that it’s not mundane, I love that I’m always able to be creative. And I really like my clients. It’s interesting meeting all these new people and hearing their stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home